I love miso soup. I always order it at sushi restaurants, but I often crave a little more substance beyond the tiny tofu cubes and chopped green onions. So I decided to make a very robust miso soup with noodles and veggies.
Unsurprisingly, miso is also very good for you. A valuable source of protein and B12 for vegans and vegetarians, miso is a fermented soy paste that also supplies trace minerals such as copper, manganese and zinc. Miso helps to support a healthy immune system, bones and blood vessels, and has even been linked to a reduced risk of breast cancer. Yay miso!
So here’s the recipe. I used a hodgepodge of veggies based on what I got in my weekly CSA delivery, so feel free to substitute as you see fit.
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 cups water
- 2 (6-inch) pieces dried kelp (kombu)
- 1/5 cup bonito flakes
- 8 ounces fresh oyster mushrooms
- 1/4 cup red miso paste
- baby bok choy, rainbow chard and spinach, all chopped (can use kale or other leafy greens)
- 3 carrots, sliced thinly
- cooked noodles – variety and quantity are up to you. I suggest: udon noodles, soba noodles, or even ramen noodles.
- 4-6 ounces firm tofu, cut into cubes -OR- 3 local eggs, beaten
- In a medium saucepan, heat water almost to a boil. Add bonito flakes and kombu, and simmer for 10 minutes. Do not boil.
- Strain liquid into a bowl, removing the flakes and kombu. Dissolve miso in resulting broth and set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add ginger and garlic, and sauté for 3 minutes. Do not burn garlic.
- Add mushrooms, greens and eggs (if using), and sauté, stirring occasionally, until greens are soft and eggs are scrambled.
- Add noodles to the vegetable mixture, followed by miso broth. Stir all ingredients together thoroughly, and heat over low heat for five minutes. Add tofu cubes (if using).
- Serve and enjoy!